Help and support for female victims of domestic violence Help and support


In an emergency phone 999 to get immediate help and report a crime.

Every Police Station has a Police Community Safety Unit (CSU) which provide support for women who have experienced domestic violence – you can report an incident of domestic violence to them whether or not you intend to press charges. Ask for them through your local Police Station. Remember to dial 999 in an emergency.

National Helplines

These helplines will be able to give you confidential advice, support and information and will be able to find a refuge place for you and your children if you need to leave your home because of domestic violence


24Hour National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline – 0808 2000 247

run by Women’s Aid and Refuge

Northern Ireland

Women’s Aid 24 hour Helpline – 0800 917 1414

run by Northern Ireland Women’s Aid Federation


Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage Helpline

0800 027 1234 – 24 hour helpline


Wales Domestic Abuse Helpline – 0808 80 10 800

run by Welsh Women’s Aid

Republic of Ireland

24 hour Helpline – 1800 341900

Regional Helplines

Manchester WA Helpline – 0161 839 8574

Nottingham WA Advice Centre – 0808 800 0340

SHE Helpline (East Anglia, Kent, East London) – 01702 300006

Specialist Helplines

Jewish Women’s Aid – 0800 591203

Women with learning difficulties – 0208 522 0675

There are also specialist refuge and/or advice services in some parts of the country for:
African and African Caribbean women
Asian women
Black women
Chinese women
Irish women
Muslim women
To contact any of these, phone the National or Regional helplines above for their numbers.

Freecall message home – 0500 700740
This is a confidential, non-traceable service for those who have left home but want to pass on a message to family and friends without communicating directly. Women escaping domestic violence can use this service without having to give details of where they are. This is a free service.

Legal Advice

Rights of Women (ROW) – 020 7251 6577
ROW has a legal advice line, which specialises in women’s issues, particularly domestic violence. They can give you details of good local solicitors as well as answering your legal queries.

Housing Advice

Shelter 24 hour free advice line – 0808 800 4444
Shelter give housing advice for anyone with housing problems.

Every local council has a Homeless Person’s Union (HPU) within their housing department. If you are experiencing domestic violence and need to move away from where you live, you can approach any HPU for assistance. Get the number of the relevant HPU from the local council or directory enquires.


NSPCC free 24 hour Child Protection Helpline – 0808 800 500
If you have any concerns about the welfare of a child (either your own or someone else’s) you can talk to the NSPCC – if you want, they can help you make contact with Social Services or the Police if that is appropriate – you don’t have to give your details if you don’t want to.

Childline – 0800 1111
Childline is a phone support service for children

The Hideout: A website created by Women’s Aid to help children and young people understand domestic abuse

Children’s Legal Centre – 0845 120 2948 – Child Law Advice Line
The Children Legal Service provide information about legal issues regarding children

Social Services
Social Services can investigate where there are concerns for the welfare of a child and can provide support for families in crisis. Get your local number from your town hall, directory enquiries.

Other support

Samaritans – 08457 90 90 90
If you are lonely, depressed, suicidal or just want to talk to someone, you can ring the Samaritans, in confidence, at any time of the day or night

British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy – 01455 883 316
For information on local counsellors and psychotherapists

Victim Support – 0845 30 30 900
Victim Support is the independent charity which helps people cope with the effects of crime. They provide free and confidential support and information to help you deal with your experience.